Joomla was launched in 2005 and it was firstly known as a simple Content Management System (CMS), which was particularly used for publishing web content. As of November 2016, Joomla! has been downloaded over 78 million times. It is estimated to be the second most used content management system on the Internet, after WordPress.
There are indeed quite a lot of benefits that it offers:
1) Joomla is free and open source software – this is one of the reasons that make Joomla great. It is absolutely available to everyone because it doesn’t cost you a penny and you can download the source code and have unrestricted rights on the software itself.
2) Joomla is extensible – If WordPress has its plugins, then Joomla! has its extensions. The Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED) is a very well maintained directory of currently 8000+ extensions.
3) Joomla is easy to use – The interface is user-friendly and intuitive. A simple website can be set up in a matter of minutes.
4) Joomla has many built-in features that are basic requirements. For example: allowing visitors to download PDF versions of the articles, allowing visitors to print articles, etc.
5) Joomla has a huge following, and a very large community of developers using it and continue to create and publish new themes and plugins to increase functionality. There is an extensive documentation on the Joomla website which is a valuable resource for beginners.